Chelsea needed a stoppage-time equaliser from sub Adelina Engman to rescue a point at Brighton in the Women’s Super League.
With an uneventful match set to end goalless, Aileen Whelan put the hosts in front with six minutes to go with a well-placed shot.
However, the hosts could not hold on and Engman levelled from close range after a Millie Bright knockdown.
Chelsea pushed for a late winner but Brighton held out.
A 17-year-old boy who was stabbed to death on a street in central London, has been named as Josiph Beker.
The teenager, also known as Yousef, was with friends outside a KFC on Edgware Road when a fight broke out between two groups on Tuesday, police said.
He was stabbed during the confrontation and died in hospital later.
Police said they were keeping an “open mind concerning motive” and urged any witnesses to come forward. No arrests have been made.
A post-mortem examination concluded Josiph died from a stab wound to the chest.
Det Ch Insp Andy Partridge said: “Lots of people were in the area at the time and may well have seen what unfolded.
“We need them to do the right thing and get in touch with what they saw along with any images or moving footage captured before, during or after the attack.”
A drug dealer who supplied serial killer Stephen Port has been jailed for at least 31 years for the murder of a businessman.
Gerald Matovu, 26, killed Eric Michels, 54, with a fatal overdose of GHB – the same drug his former customer used to kill four men.
He was one of 12 men targeted by Matovu and lover, Brandon Dunbar, 24, over a 19-month period, The Old Bailey heard.
Sentencing, Judge Anne Molyneux said Matovu was an “experienced poisoner”.
Matovu had previously admitted selling GHB to Port, but had denied killing Mr Michel, who was found dead in bed by his 14-year-old daughter.
The pair met through the Grindr app and took a cab back to Mr Michels’ flat on 18 August 2018.
Passing sentence, the judge said Matovu, who now identifies as female, was a “highly dangerous predator”.
He was jailed for a total of 39 offences relating to 14 victims.
Mr Michel’s ex-wife, Diane Michels, said the two men had a “callous disregard” for his life.
“We have to live with the knowledge the last person Eric saw was the person who took his life”, she said.
The court heard Matovu and his partner Dunbar targeted victims through gay dating apps, carrying out a string of thefts and frauds.
They drugged their victims, calculating they would be “too embarrassed to report what happened”, said the judge.
Co-defendant Dunbar, of Forest Gate, east London, was jailed for 18 years and told he must serve at least two-thirds in prison.
The judge also imposed an extended sentence of five years, to be served on licence.
Jurors were not told about Matovu supplying drugs to Port, who was given a whole-life term for the murders of four young men he poisoned with GHB.
Many families have lost their homes after a huge fire destroyed a block of flats in south-west London.
Flames quickly spread to all four floors of the building in Sherbrooke Way, Worcester Park, after fire crews were called just before 01:30 BST.
Some 125 firefighters and 20 fire engines tackled the blaze, which took five hours to get under control.
No injuries were reported but London Fire Brigade (LFB) said crews would remain there throughout the day.
Dean Fowler, who lives with his family on the top floor of the building, said he was woken in the night by someone banging on his door.
“I then heard someone screaming ‘there’s a fire, get out’, and I just got my boys and went,” he said.
He said he had only been living in the building for three weeks and had lost “everything” in the blaze, but added: “we’re alive, we’re breathing, that’s all that matters”.
Lauren Woods and Jack Edwards escaped from the top floor with their two six-month-old daughters Mia and Grace.
Louise Anns, Ms Woods’ friend and colleague, said the family had been left “devastated” having had to abandon their two cats, while their car was expected to be written off due to flooding in the building’s basement.
“Everything they have is in that flat, and it’s gone,” said Ms Anns, who has set up an online donation page to raise funds to help them.
Another crowdfunding page has been set up for all affected residents by Worcester Park councillor Jenny Batt, who said the “amazing” response from the community meant they had already been donated large amounts of items such as clothing.
The building is made up of 23 flats and based in The Hamptons estate, an American-style complex made up of social and private housing which was built on a former sewage treatment works.
Residents from the block and a nearby building were taken to a nearby community centre and a collection is being organised for the affected families.
One of those, Darren Nicholson, said he woke up to the sound of “crackling” and when he opened the curtains he “saw the flames and got myself and the family out”.
He said fire alarms were going off in the community areas but not in his own flat and he believed the blaze began “on the balconies”.
You may also be interested in:
At the scene
Greg McKenzie, BBC Radio London correspondent
What was once a four-storey building is now just a shell.
You can hear the block falling apart and black and white smoke continues to billow from it.
The closest building, which has also been evacuated, is quite far away so it is not possible that the fire could spread.
However, the thick smoke is going into these houses and covering the entire block.
Residents from other parts of the estate have been bringing bags of clothing and bedding to the community centre to donate to those people who have lost everything.
Fire investigators have begun work to look into “all aspects of the this fire”, LFB said.
LFB Group Manager Rick Ogden said fire crews had faced “a well developed and intense fire” which had engulfed all four floors of the building.
Metropolitan Thames Valley, the housing association which manages properties in the block, said it was “supporting emergency services on the ground and our priority is ensuring that residents are safe.”
Sutton Council said it had officers on the site “supporting anybody that needs help”.
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:
A 14-year-old boy accused of a stabbing murder has been remanded to a secure unit.
The teenager, from Barking, appeared at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Saturday morning over the killing of Santino Angelo Dymiter, from Plaistow.
Eighteen-year-old Mr Dymiter was found injured on the afternoon of 26 August by emergency services at Chadd Green, east London.
The judge remanded the 14-year-old to appear at the Old Bailey on Tuesday.
The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is also accused of having a knife in a public place.
A door on a passenger train was open for 23 minutes while the vehicle travelled at 80mph (128km/h).
A passenger reported it to the driver at Hockley station, in Essex, at 07:20 BST on the Liverpool Street to Southend line on 22 August, the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) said.
The train travelled in traffic for 16 miles (26km) with the door open.
Train operator Greater Anglia said the carriage had immediately been taken out of service.
The RAIB has conducted an investigation and will release a “safety digest” at a later date.
Martin Moran, Greater Anglia commercial and customer service director, said: “Safety is our highest priority.
“We immediately took the train out of service when this happened and carried out our own investigation into the incident.
“We have also carried out checks on every single door on that type of train that we have.
“No-one was injured in this incident and there have been no further incidents since.”
A witness who was not on the train, who wished to remain anonymous, said he had seen Greater Anglia staff shouting and a technician working on the door.
He said: “All of a sudden there was a technician there looking at the door at the side. It must have been loose because they were able to slide it back.”
You may also be interested in:
Derek Monnery, chairman of the Essex Rail Users Federation, said it was an unusual incident and it may have been down to recent refurbishment work on Greater Anglia’s rolling stock.
He said: “It could be a dangerous situation if the train is crowded and a lot of people are standing there, which fortunately it doesn’t sound like it was in this case.
“It should never have happened.”
Greater Anglia confirmed the carriage was one of those which had been refurbished but said it was unable to say if this had been a factor in the incident until its investigation had been completed.
The operator has unveiled a £1.4bn plan to replace its trains.
Probation staff were overstretched when a violent convict murdered his partner’s child, an inquest has heard.
Alex Malcolm, five, was killed by Marvyn Iheanacho, who flew into a rage after the boy lost a trainer in a park in Catford, south-east London, in 2016.
Iheanacho had a string of previous convictions for violent offences.
At the time, he was under supervision by the National Probation Service (NPS) having been released from prison less than six months earlier.
Probation workers in London were dealing with an estimated 5-10% increase in their caseload following a major restructure in 2014, a probation official told Southwark Coroner’s Court.
Andrew Blight, of NPS in London, told the jury recruitment had been a “struggle” and “staff morale was low”.
He added: “Although it was two years after [the restructure], we were still working through a lot of the detail.
“The impact was still very, very much in effect and very much being felt.”
‘History of violence’
Alex died from head and stomach injuries following the attack in November 2016.
Iheanacho was convicted of his murder in 2017 and jailed for life with a minimum of 18 years, which was later increased to a minimum of 21.
An NPS report following Alex’s death found Iheanacho had a “history of violence against members of the public and partners”.
It said he used violence against girlfriends to exert “power, respect and control”.
As part of his probation agreement, Iheanacho’s case workers were supposed to be made aware of any new developing relationships.
The child’s mother, Lilya Breha, previously told the inquest the probation service had not warned her about her partner’s violent history, or asked if she had children.
Officers personally involved in Iheanacho’s case are due to give evidence at a later date.
The inquest continues.
Some flights to and from the UK are facing delays and cancellations due to problems affecting French airspace.
British Airways said an air traffic control “outage” had hit flights going through French and Spanish airspace.
EasyJet said it was experiencing disruption due to a “partial failure of French air traffic control systems”.
Paris Airport tweeted that a “national computer failure related to the centralisation of flight plans” on Sunday morning was now resolved.
But it warned that delays were still expected.
National Air Traffic Services (NATS) said it does not know how many flights have been affected but it is working with airlines in the UK to try to minimise disruption.
Gatwick Airport said passengers should check with airlines on the status of their flights before heading to the airport.
EasyJet said it has been forced to cancel 180 flights out of just under 2,000 scheduled to take off on Sunday.
Affected passengers were contacted directly and given the option of transferring their flight for free or receiving a refund, it said.
The airline added it was seeing significant delays and recommended all its passengers, regardless of their destination, check the status of their flight at www.easyjet.com/en/flight-tracker for real time information before going to the airport.
British Airways also urged customers to check the status of their flights online and said it expects disruption to services to France and Spain, as well as those which fly over these countries on the way to other destinations.
Some passengers told the BBC their British Airways flights had been cancelled.
The airline said it would not release any cancellation figures but added any affected customers had been notified directly.
It said it would offer flexible rebooking options for anyone who wants to change their dates of travel as a result of the disruption.
Ryanair advised customers on its website there had been a “serious French ATC [air traffic control] equipment failure” early on Sunday morning.
It said delays of “up to three hours are being suffered”.
Travel expert Simon Calder said: “France is absolutely at the heart of European air traffic control – some 60% of all EasyJet flights to anywhere go over French territory.
“This appears to be some kind of malfunction which has greatly reduced the flow rate [of flights] so there’s reports of pilots in Lisbon, for example, trying to get to the UK telling passengers we could be five hours late.”
He said affected passengers will not be eligible for compensation, explaining: “It’s not the airlines’ fault.”
But he said the airlines have a strict duty of care, which means they must provide meals and if necessary accommodation to passengers.
He added: “They also have to rebook you on the first available flight, ideally on the same day, even if it means paying money to a rival to get you home.”
The disruption is having a wider knock-on effect in the UK, with some flights from Scotland to England cancelled.
Richard Martin was due to fly from Edinburgh to London Stansted when EasyJet texted to say his flight had been cancelled.
“We are booked on another flight tomorrow but I’m due to be back at work,” he said.
“The queues at the airport and everything are crazy and we’ve had some family members say something similar has also happened to them.”
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:
Up to 100 residents are being forced out of their homes for up to three years due to “potentially combustible insulation”.
Residents of the award-winning Bridport House in London have been told they will have to re-locate within 12 months due to “serious” structural errors.
Hackney Council confirmed legal action will be taken against Willmott Partnership Homes, who built the block.
One resident said: “It’s disgusting the way we’ve all been treated.”
The resident, who did not want to be named, told the Local Democracy Reporting Service: “We’ve all lived here for years, and you don’t want to be moving out and moving back in again.”
Pauline Millgate, another resident, said she was “annoyed” about how the council have handled the property.
She said: “We’ve been here for eight years and we’ve had nothing but ongoing problems with leaks, holes in the roofs and holes in the floor.”
Michael Jones said he felt “like a prisoner” in his own home.
“The scaffold has been up for nearly 18 months and we’ve been told we can’t go out on the balcony,” he said.
The 41 families living in the property will be offered another temporary or permanent home in the borough while the work is carried out, but they could be displaced for up to three years.
Families moving permanently are to be offered a one-off home loss payment of £6,300 alongside other financial incentives.
Bridport House on the Colville Estate won awards awards for design and engineering when it opened in 2011.
Since then the building has suffered a litany of problems including falling roof tiles, crumbling bricks and flooding.
Investigations have now revealed more serious defects including missing fire barriers and flawed brickwork, balconies and windows.
Heat insulation was found to be “a combustible material”, but cannot be tested.
Hackney Council claimed the London Fire Brigade had concluded the building remained safe for residents, but the brigade has denied this.
The council will now open a procurement process for the £6m repair works.
Mayor of Hackney Philip Glanville said: “We are sorry for the failures in the construction of Bridport House, and for the huge disruption residents continue to face.
“Moving residents from homes we all hoped would be new and permanent is not an easy decision, but our first priority is their safety.
“We will be taking legal action to hold those responsible for these failures to account. We also should have done a better job.”
Willmott Partnership Homes said it was “disappointed at the way the problems at Bridport House have been portrayed by Hackney Council”.
The builders said they could not comment fully “in view of the threat of legal action”.
A spokesman said: “This is an extremely complicated matter, significantly exacerbated by various aspects of the Building Regulations recently being reinterpreted following the Grenfell tragedy.
“We too want to say how sorry we are that matters have turned out in this way, and of course for the concern this will have caused to the residents at Bridport House.”